This feature requires the "Studio" permission in Team Settings.
As a Campus Cloud Administrator, you can link directly from the campus guide to another app on a student’s phone. For example, you could provide a link to a transit app, an app for students in residence, or any other app you think would be useful to students.
To create an tile that links to an app, you will need:
- the name of the Android app (the Android package name)
- the name (schema) of the iOS app (also called "iOS Universal URL")
- a URL to use as a fallback in case the app fails to launch for a student with iOS
- a URL in case the app fails to launch on Android.
See below for examples.
To create App Open tile in Studio:
- Create a new studio tile.
- Type a name for your tile, choose a colour, and upload an image.
- Select tile Type as “Resource”.
- Select “3rd Party API” as “Resource Type”
- Add the “iOS Universal URL”, “iOS Fallback URL”, “Android Package Name” and “Android Fallback URL”.
- Click “Save”.
Your tile appears in the campus guide. Tapping the tile opens the app if it is installed on the student's phone. Otherwise, the student is taken to the fallback URL.
Below, please find information required to set up App Open tiles for several popular mobile apps.
- Android Package Name: com.microsoft.office.outlook&hl=en_US
- iOS Universal URL: ms-outlook://
- iOS Fallback URL: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-outlook/id951937596?mt=8
- Android Fallback URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.microsoft.office.outlook&hl=en
- Android Package Name: com.instructure.candroid&hl=en
- iOS Universal URL: canvas-courses:// or canvas-student://
- iOS Fallback URL: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/canvas-student/id480883488?mt=8
- Android Fallback URL: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.instructure.candroid